Varai is one of several typical Sri Lankan dishes that my mother has mastered during her time in America. I was thought to make a simple Kale Varai but I am guessing one could use any green leafy vegetable in stead of Kale. Kale is one my favourites and this is so far the most delicious way to prepare Kale in my opinion.
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 green chillies or dried chillies chopped
- Medium red onion
- 1 spring of curry leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 12 large leaves of kale stemmed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric or less (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- Add a bit of oil (I would just splash a bit of water) on heated pan.
- Add mustard seeds once pan is hot.
- As soon as mustard seeds pop, add onions, garlic and chillies.
- When onions are translucent add Kale.
- Splash more water to keep Kale from sticking to pan. Not too much as this is a dry dish.
- Cover and cook on medium-low
- Once Kale reduces and begins to wilt, add turmeric and desiccated coconut.
- Stir gently until Kale is cooked but be careful not to over cook
- Remove and serve.
Virginia Beach, US